As you start to make your plans to move to Costa Rica you will want to think about applying for Costa Rican residency. Here are some of the benefits of being a legal resident.
- No more trips to get a new visa stamp in your passport every 90 days. Non-residents of Costa Rica are allowed a maximum of 90 days in the country and then must leave for a minimum of three days before returning and getting a new 90 day visa stamp.
- You can get a Costa Rica drivers license. While you can drive legally in Costa Rica using a valid foreign drivers license, the foreign license is validated by your current 90 day visa stamp in your passport.
- It is easier to open and maintain a local bank account if you are a legal resident. Accounts for non-residents tend to carry extra requirements such as frequent update of account holder information.
- No need to carry your passport. Legal residents receive a card sized cédula to carry as proof of identification and residency status.
- Travel to Costa Rica is much easier for legal residents. No need to show the departure airline or Costa Rica immigration officers proof you will be leaving the country within 90 days. Your cédula says it all, you belong in Costa Rica.
- No need to worry about being fined for overstaying a 90 day visa.
- There are resident discounts including; local airlines, tourist destinations, parks and local attractions.